Follow Me! Put your email address here:

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Japanese Sewing Books Obsession Part 2: Shufu To Seikatsu Sha's Simple Modern Sewing

Doh!  Over a week since my last post!  Well, I tried my hand at Zo's hipster panties and learned a ton but wasn't pleased with the results.  But more on that later because I haven't given up on undies--I have ideas. . . .

 So this seems like an opportune time to return to my ongoing obsession with Japanese sewing books.  Just as I was discovering this genre, my sister-in-law, Debbie, and most ardent sewing supporter, gave me Simple Modern Sewing by Shufu To Seikatsu Sha as a Christmas present.


Initially, I have to admit, I wasn't so sure that I was going to be into it (apologies to Auntie Deb).  The clothes really are very basic.  But, one after another, as I've tried the patterns, I've gained an appreciation for the clarity of the instructions and the wearability of the clothes.  Here's what I've executed so far:

And here's my rendition--
I particularly love it with a skinny belt, my navy blue pencil skirt, black tights and black ankle booties.  I need to figure out what I'm doing with it now that it's summer and I'm not wearing my ankle booties so much.  

I chose two different fabrics that worked together and used french seams to bring the panel together in the front.  The book recommended a double-sided fabric, and I can only imagine that would be even better.  All in all, I have nothing to add to the instructions.  It worked out beautifully and was easy.  

Next one up, 1b:
The pattern called for 'wool gauze'.  I'm sure that would be fantastic.  I used cotton and have been wearing it over a brown long-sleeved t-shirt with rolled-up jeans and sandals or sneaks.
Somehow, it feels a little Princess Leia-ish.  My only real problem with it is the color choice.  Beige does nothing for a fair-skinned white-y (sp?).  Luckily, the brown bias-tape, courtesy of my mother-in-law's recent antique sewing donation, breaks up the beigi-ness.  

And, for now, finally, these pants: 
I'm totally into 4b, the cropped option.  As I may have mentioned before, and will again, my first (elastic-waisted) pants attempt, in the 8th grade, was a miserable failure.  These were a phenomenal success--at least, in my eyes.  I wear them every chance I get.  And have them in two different fabrics--one a random plaid linen from Fabrix on Clement and the other a cotton Marc Jacobs print from the Smuggler's Daughter.  Modeled, linen; followed by Marc Jacobs.

They're awesome for both work and play.  The pocket even fits an iPhone.  Though I wouldn't run around as it might bounce out.  Maybe a button next time. . . .

Until next weekend, adieu!

No comments:

Post a Comment