Follow Me! Put your email address here:

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Japanese Sewing Books Obsession Part I: Yoshiko Tsukiori

The impetus for this blog really comes from my recent obsession with Japanese sewing books.  I'm not even sure how it started, but I bought the two Yoshiko Tsukiori books last fall and simultaneously, my lovely sister-in-law, Debbie, bought Shufu To Seikatsu Sha's Simple Modern Sewing and tucked it away for my 2013 Christmas present.  In other words, I've had fodder for months and months.

There's something about Japanese aesthetics that I find so compelling.  Maybe it's an elegance in the simplicity of the lines--nothing overtly sexy, but then something so sweet and subtle that it's just that much sexier.  Understated.  Granted, I have been asked a few times now if I'm pregnant when wearing my Japanese-inspired dresses.  But that could just be the quilting cotton that I've been using.  And that's going to change (see my last post).

So, I'm going to show what I've been creating just prior to starting this blog.  My first endeavor came from Yoshiko Tsukiori's Stylish Dress Book: Simple Smocks, Dresses, and Tops.
 A weekend, functional, in the garden and to the grocery store kind of a dress. . .
Can't you just imagine it with a 'wife-beater' (yes, I'm ashamed to use that term and yet I know that you know what I mean)?  Here's my rendition:

For my next one--because I'll definitely make this again--I'm thinking some front pockets might be very nice.  Think overalls.

My second attempt from this book was 'A'.
So sweet.  In fact, my mother has requested this one for her birthday--in the grey floral print I used on the piping on the Ikea Expedit cushion.  It turned out a bit poofy--likely due to quilting cotton--so I added a few tucks at the front and back bottom hem.
It works with skirts, slacks--totally work worthy.

And, finally, from this book, 'N'.  Yoshiko's. . .
Mine. . . a bit poofier, again quilting cotton. . . .
This one also works with a skinny belt when the mu-mu ness of it is just too much.  Although if you layer on a motorcycle jacket and some tough ankle boots, it's perfect as is.  I did find the sleeves were a bit snug, and I'll give that some extra thought if I make it again, but it could easily have been my fault. 

Now from Yoshiko Tsukiori's Stylish Dress Book: Wear With Freedom,
I've so far only executed Stylish Dress 'T',
shown at the beginning of this blog at Truett's preschool art show and, from the front, below.  
I do so love this fabric!  Peapod

I found both of Yoshiko's books easy to work from.  Just get some tracing paper and a really good light; the hardest part is deciphering one pattern from another.  Beyond that, the directions are relatively simple.  Sizes are accurate. 

1 comment:

  1. All so very cute! I love the simplicity of these designs as well.

    ReplyDelete