Follow Me! Put your email address here:

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Ikea Expedit Window Seat

Originally used to keep the multitude of toy trucks my son owns in a relatively contained space, I recently decided to use the low Ikea Expedit shelf in our living room for more seating.

As seems to be the case with most brilliant ideas, I am not the only one who has had it. . . just google 'Ikea Expedit cushion' (or let me do it for you), and you'll find all kinds of wonderful examples of this--some with DIY tutorials, or, if you're short on time or skills, there's an Etsy shop, Hearth and Home, where you can have a custom cushion made just for you at a very reasonable price.

I decided to DIY it with a piece of custom-cut foam and create my own slip cover with zipper (so it can be cleaned as needed.)  The foam is from FoamOrder.com, and, as luck would have it, it turns out that they're located in San Francisco, only two blocks from the flagship Soma Discount Fabric store; I was able to pick up my foam--avoiding delivery charges--and find some upholstery fabric in my color scheme all within two blocks!


When I got the foam and solid plum fabric home, I decided the cushion was going to need a little something to keep it from being boring and settled on adding piping in a fun floral print from Peapod Fabrics, my current favorite place.  This meant learning some new techniques--making continuous bias tape and then wrapping it around cotton cord.  So worth the effort! And now I want to make tons of bias tape and put it on everything--pillows, leaves of house plants, the cat, you name it.




Like all my successful sewing projects, the finished product is imperfect but just right.  (Ahem, yes, I meant to have pleats on only two corners. . . . )  I even had enough extra floral fabric for an accent pillow. 


One addition to this project, of which I am most proud, was putting a piece of Ikea STOPP anti slip rug underlay beneath the finished cushion.  Thatta way when your crazy three year old decides to jump up and down on the cushion or use it as a launching pad onto the carpet, he will not cause himself greater injury than necessary. 

Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. Love the cushion! The piping is delightful - little spots of gorgeous color! Keep on posting. I'm getting ideas from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome results! Looks great. Sounds like sewing is a very meditative practice with many life lessons (e.g. imperfections are part of the journey).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It's a mindfulness practice:)

      Delete
  3. I love this project! Inspiring. I have a Thursday evening class where I will make three sewing projects in the next three weeks: a zippered pouch, placemats, and a pillow for Beth. I just bought some neat fabrics in Seattle today and am all set with materials for my projects. I will post pictures on Facebook if my projects turn out well so that you can see them.

    ReplyDelete